2007-09-19

dang dreams

Last night I dreamt I was in an abandoned amusement park at night, searching for something I can't remember. I wasn't looking through my eyes, but from an isometric overhead view, like this:







Eventually I found a wide tunnel full of abandoned cars. I guessed that the tunnel led to an underground parking garage. The cars looked ancient, 50 years old at least, all rusty with broken glass and cobwebs spanning their steering wheels. It was a traffic jam. I wondered where the drivers went.



As I entered the tunnel, my vision shifted to the first-person. The tunnel spiraled downward for some length before abruptly opening on a huge, circular indoor lot. My guess was right; it was a parking garage. The place was well-lit and the cars here looked newer than the cars in the mouth of the tunnel. I sensed that I was close to what I was looking for. My intuition led me straight to a black, boxy looking car in the center of the lot. It had an 80s style and was probably the newest thing here, hardly any signs of wear. The door was unlocked-- no surprise-- and I stepped into the driver's seat.



After I closed the door, I felt a sudden shiver of fear and looked at the rear view mirror. Something wasn't right. I adjusted the mirror so I could clearly see the driver's side of the car behind me. Where there had been empty space not a minute ago, I now saw a decayed skeleton, still wearing a fancy suit. Turning around I saw that all the cars were not empty but filled with corpses, some looking like they'd died in terror, clawing at the glass. The windows were no longer broken but whole...



I quickly turned away and tried to open the driver's side door. It was locked. I bashed the glass to no avail. That's when I first noticed the smell inside the car-- and knew I had a passenger.




...at this point I pressed Escape to reach the main menu and reload my game. No, I'm not making this up. This happens to me all the time. Most people wake up from their scary dreams. I have an in-dream mechanism for keeping the fun alive. I selected an old saved game, and soon I was back in the amusement park, earlier in the day. I don't remember the rest-- something to do with wizards.

No comments: